Sunday, June 8, 2014

Parallel Final



This here is a drawing (done in fine-point sharpie) of a rather oversized green plastic army man smashing a beauteous smattering of life-related personal items (wedding album, teddy bear etc). I read an article discussing some old war veteran who returned to normandy for the 70th anniversary of d-day. Both for the battle and his return, he jumped out of an airplane. With a parachute. All very cool. But then he said he'll probably do it again next year. This struck me as a little bit clingy to his war days. So for the project I decided to exaggerate this observation a bit and portray him as somebody who's so focused on this one past thing that it belittles and dominates every other aspect of his life. Thus the toy soldier crushing everything else.

Artists Develop Art Making Skills
Through my hard labor and toil in procuring this fine piece of markerwork, I learned how to create a gradient with a couple of sharpies. One simply presses the tips of two sharpies together, with the darker one on top, letting the darker ink run into the lighter pen. Then it just runs out in a dark-to-light gradient when the light pen is applied to paper. 

Artists Communicate Through Their Work
In this piece I communicated that whoever is bothering himself on a yearly basis with something that happened 70 years ago really ought to pay more attention to the rest of his 93 year old life. Feel the judgmentalism. Like daggers.

Artists Take Risks
The problem with sharpie is that when it's done, it's done. Pencil can be erased, some paints can be painted over, origami can be refolded. Not so with ink. When I finished the soldier I was really happy with it, and I was aware that I probably wouldn't be so satisfied with the rest, but I went ahead with it anyways.


No comments:

Post a Comment